Invite a friend
Movie "The Alamo" to be viewed and reviewed at the Oak Park Arms
Oak Park Arms presents its popular series “You Be the Critic” at 3:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16, at the Oak Park Arms, 408 S. Oak Park Ave. The 1960 film “The Alamo” will be viewed and reviewed with radio announcer Dan Kane.
Directed by John Wayne, who also starred in the film as Colonel Davy Crockett, the Alamo is a war film about the Battle of the Alamo, a pivotal event during the Texas Revolution.
When General Santa Anna and his Mexican army were sweeping through Texas in 1836, General Sam Houston (Richard Boone) bought time to arrange his troops by asking Colonel William Travis (Laurence Harvey) to defend a mission against the Mexican army at all costs. Davy Crockett and Colonel Jim Bowie (Richard Widmark) also joined the fight.
Mixed reviews have touted the film for its battle scenes and criticized it for its historical inaccuracies. The film’s production costs kept it from becoming an immediate success, despite a large box office take. The film won the Academy Award for Best Sound, and was nominated several times, including for Best Music, Best Film Editing and Best Cinematography.
The Oak Park Arms is a rental retirement community which provides independent and assisted living apartments and a full schedule of activities and services. Furnished apartments are also available for a short-term stay - a weekend, a week, a month or longer.
The event is free and open to the public. Call Jill Wagner at 708-386-4040.
More About Oak Park Arms Retirement Community
The Oak Park Arms is a rental retirement community located on South Oak Park Avenue. The community offers independent and assisted living options with housekeeping, linen service, regularly scheduled recreation and entertainment events, home therapy, transportation, meal preparation and 24-hour concierge services to help residents live comfortably. For rental information, visit the Oak Park Arms website.
Other events here
- Musikgarten Gala at the Oak Park Arms Tomorrow, May 19, 4:00 pm
- Sanders & Warren discusses "Positive Aging" at the Oak Park Arms Mon, May 20, 10:00 am
- Here's to Your Health: Medication Management at the Oak Park Arms Tue, May 21, 10:30 am
- "Communicating Compassion" with Nancy Flowers at the Oak Park Arms Tue, May 21, 3:30 pm
- Discuss Healthy Brain Aging over "Breakfast with the Docs" at the Oak Park Arms Thu, May 23, 8:30 am
- Rick Shandling kicks off Summer Jazz Festival at the Oak Park Arms Mon, May 27, 7:00 pm
- Great Decisions 2013 February 12, 2013 / February 26, 2013 / March 12, 2013 / March 26, 2013 / April 9, 2013 / April 23, 2013 / May 14, 2013 / May 28, 2013, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Brain Gym Class with Aimee Edwards at the Oak Park Arms Wed, May 29, 4:00 pm