With the heat and humidity expected to top 100 degrees for the next couple of days, there are places where people can go to cool off if they don’t have access to air conditioning.
Cooling centers are open at:
- , 520 Maple Ave., 383-5673.
- , 3 Erie Court, 383-6200.
- , 123 Lombard Ave., 8:30 am to 5 pm.
- , Main Branch, 834 Lake St., from 9 am to 9 pm.
- , Maze Branch, 845 Gunderson St., from 10 am to 8 pm
- , Dole Learning Center, 255 Augusta St., from 10 am to 8 pm.
Free transportation is available by calling the’s non-emergency number, 708-386-3800.
People who are elderly and who have chronic conditions are especially susceptible to this heat so please check on them when the temperature rises.
Some important safety tips to remember in the heat include wearing lightweight, light-colored clothing and hats, drink lots of water and take regular breaks if you’re working or playing outside.