Switching from August to September is always bittersweet, because while it means an end to summer it also signals the start of the best season: football.
The IHSA released Oak Park-River Forest's 2013 football schedule, and it begins Aug. 31 at Fenger, a 1-7 team in 2012.
OPRF's home opener is the following week against Leyden (7-3). The toughest stretch for the Huskies will likely be in its final three conference games, in which they play defending Class 7A champion Glenbard West at home followed by a trip to Lyons Township and another home game against Hinsdale Central. However, OPRF did beat Central twice last season, including a first-round playoffs upset.
Homecoming this year will be tough as it is against Glenbard West, which went undefeated last season. That game is at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 4. Last season the Huskies went 7-4, losing in the second round of the playoffs to Waubonsie Valley.
The complete schedule is below. The teams' 2012 records are in parentheses.
- Aug. 31 at Fenger (1-7) — 4:15 p.m.
- Sept. 6 vs. Leyden (7-3) — 7:30 p.m.
- Sept. 13 at Proviso West (6-4) — 7:30 p.m.
- Sept. 20 vs. Downers Grove North (7-5) — 7:30 p.m.
- Sept. 27 at York (0-9) — 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 4 vs. Glenbard West (14-0) — 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 12 at Lyons Township (7-5) — 1:30 p.m.
- Oct. 18 vs. Hinsdale Central (7-3) — 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 26 at Morton (3-6) — 7:30 p.m.