Run out of soda? Want to skip making that 20-pound turkey and get the fixings for burgers and fries? Or do you just want to surf the Web in peace and nurse a strong cup of java?
Well you’re in luck. A few places in Oak Park, River Forest and Forest Park will be open on Turkey Day. At least one restaurant will offer Thanksgiving with all the trimmings. Some spots will be open late. And supermarkets serving the area will be open until the early evening.
So, you can catch a movie, eat a hearty breakfast, get popcorn to eat with a good movie or football game (or all three), chow down on Chunky Monkey or get a start on your holiday shopping.
Here’s a look at some of the places where you can pick up that forgotten item for that big dinner, unwind or catch up with the vampires and their friends:
- The Onion Roll, 6935 North Ave., Oak Park, 383-2548, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Al’s Grill, 1100 W. Madison St., Oak Park, 386-4190, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Bar Louie, 1122 W. Lake St., 725-3300, 3 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Poor Phil’s Shell Bar, 139 S. Marion St., 848-0871, 4 p.m. to midnight.
- Caribou Coffee, 136 N. Oak Park Ave., 445-1196, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Starbucks, 7201 Lake St., River Forest, 488-8596, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Starbucks, 7231 Madison St., Forest Park, 488-1046, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Barclay’s American Grille will serve T-Day brunch from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., 1120 Pleasant St. Adults, $33.95, Children ages 5-12, $12.95, children under 5 are free. Includes tax and gratuity. Reservations are required. Call the restaurant at 848-4250. To check out the menu peek at its Facebook page. The restaurant will open at 5 p.m. for dinner with a regular menu and a dinner special for $19.
- Bar Louie, 1122 Lake St., Oak Park, 725-3300, 4 p.m. to midnight.
- Louie’s Grill, 7422 Madison St., Forest Park, 488-8889, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Original Pancake House, 7255 West Madison St., Forest Park, 771-5411, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Jewel-Osco, 438 W. Madison St., Oak Park, 383-7111, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Jewel/Roosevelt Market, 7036 W. Roosevelt Rd., Oak Park, 524-9660, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Jewel-Osco, 7525 Lake St., River Forest, 771-0044, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Dominick’ Finer Foods, 7501 W. North Ave., River Forest, 366-8575, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Dominick’s Finer Foods, 259 W. Lake St., Oak Park, 383-8090, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Whole Foods Market, 7245 Lake St., River Forest, 366-1045, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Pan’s Food Center, 824 S. Oak Park Ave., 848-1340, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Ultra Foods, 7520 Roosevelt Rd., Forest Park, 488-5750, midnight to 5 p.m. Thanksgiving Day.
- Ed’s Way Food Mart, 946 Beloit Ave., Forest Park, 366-0922, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Walmart 1300 Des Plaines Ave., Forest Park, 771-2270, all day Thanksgiving Day.
- Kmart, 7630 Roosevelt Rd., Forest Park, 771-1684, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., 5 p.m. to midnight.
And there’s no place better for escape than the movies — no shows before 4 p.m. What’s on the bill? Lincoln, Twilight: Breaking Dawn II, Sky Fall and Flight. Other shows may be on the card. To learn more check out the Lake Theatre, 1022 Lake St., Oak Park, 848-9088.
And Just a Reminder
Some good news for folks who just can’t seem to recall the myriad of parking restrictions. Here they are:
The on-street, overnight parking ban will not be enforced on most Oak Park residential streets during the Thanksgiving holiday. Overnight restrictions will be lifted at 2:30 a.m., Thurs., Nov. 22, and resume at 2:30 a.m., Mon., Nov. 26.
Restrictions will remain in effect in overnight permit areas, such as village-owned lots, on-street enclaves and on-street overnight parking zones.
All other parking regulations also remain in effect, including all daytime posted restrictions and regulations related to traffic and public safety.
You won't need an overnight parking permit as the overnight parking ban will be lifted from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday Nov. 21 to midnight, Sunday Nov. 25. The ban goes back in effect at 12:01 a.m. on Nov. 26.
The overnight parking ban will be lifted at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 21. Folks will need to call the overnight parking line, 366-7272 after 8 p.m. Saturday Nov. 24 to get an on-street parking permit as the ban goes back into effect at 12:01 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 25.