Dear District 90 Families,
We received notice this morning from Oak Park District 97 that the Oak Park Police Department is currently investigating a possible child luring that occurred Tuesday afternoon in the area of Irving Elementary School. A female student informed the police that she was approached by a subject who offered her candy. The student refused and immediately ran back to the school to report the incident to staff. We will provide you with updates regarding this situation as they become available.
Once again, this reminds us to discuss safety precautions children should take when they are walking around our community, whether it is to/from school or any other time. Below are safety guidelines to discuss with your children.
- Always try to walk in groups or with at least one other person.
- Walk on sidewalks and other open areas rather than alleys that have less visibility.
- Be aware of your surroundings and any strangers who are nearby.
- If you have a concern about another person near you, go to a neighbor’s house, find an adult to assist you, or go back to school.
- Never approach a vehicle unknown to you, even if the occupant speaks to you.
- Yell loudly and run if you feel you are in danger.
- Be sure to tell your parents if something happens. Parents should contact the police and the school.