Railroad experts told the paper that early findings "have led them to consider emergency recommendations to the CTA." The 12 rail cars, the four-car train and the eight-car train, were taken to a CTA facility for examination Tuesday night, according to the Tribune.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) took over the accident scene Monday. Officials will continue its investigation despite the government shutdown, the Associated Press reported earlier this week.
The NTSB offices have closed, and a recording at NTSB on Thursday said, "due to a lapse in funding," the spokesman assigned to the investigation is out of the office.
The accident occurred about 7:43 a.m. Monday, when a four-car, out-of-service train left a rail yard in Forest Park and hit a stationary train occupied by about 40 people near Harlem Avenue. Officials said 33 people were injured. No injuries were life-threatening.
Read the full Chicago Tribune story here.