Status Hearing Set for 3 Accused of 2011 Murder in River Forest

Ex-cop Devin Bickham Sr., his son Devin Ardell Bickham and Cardell Taylor to appear at Maybrook Courthouse on Oct. 11.

A status hearing is set for next week in the case of three men—one a former North Chicago police officer—who are accused of plotting and killing a 29-year-old Chicago woman in a River Forest parking lot in 2011.

The hearing for Devin Bickham Sr., and his son Devin Ardell Bickham and Cardell Taylor is set for 9 a.m. Oct. 11 in Room 105 of the Cook County Courthouse in Maybrook. The judge will be Noreen Valena Love.

It is uncertain if a trial date will be set at that time.

The three are still being held without bond in Cook County Jail.

Follow Patch on Facebook for breaking news, friendly discussions and more. Click here to follow Forest Park Patch. Or, click here to follow Oak Park and River Forest Patch.

Bickham Sr. and his son Bickham, both of Chicago, and Blue Island resident Cardell Taylor were charged last July 14 with plotting the murder of Chervon Monique Alexander in a parking lot in Priory Park on July 11, 2011.

Each was charged with four counts of first-degree murder. Included was a charge of murder in exchange for money.

Authorities said Bickham Sr., a former North Chicago police officer, offered Taylor $400 if he would kill Alexander. During a preliminary hearing, Cook County State's Attorney Maureen O'Brien told the court the older Bickham had been planning the crime for some time as a way of getting out his relationship with her.

O'Brien told the court that the older Bickham and Alexander drove to a parking lot at the northeast corner of Division Street and Bonnie Brae Place, a spot they'd been to before. His alleged accomplices were in another car a block away. After getting a text message from the older Bickham, Taylor came to the car and shot Alexander several times.

After the shooting, which took place around 10:20 p.m. in a darkened parking lot shared by River Forest and Dominican University's Priory Campus, the older Bickham called police and pretended to be a witness to the shooting, O'Brien said. 

The younger Bickham and Taylor were apprehended by Forest Park police roughly a mile from the crime scene. Alexander died around 11 p.m. at Loyola University Medical Center.

It was the first homicide in River Forest since 2005.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »