No getting around it, with temperatures nearing 100 degrees — and the heat index peaking upward of 115 degrees — it's gonna be hot Wednesday. And for the rest of the week, too: The entire Chicagoland area remains under an excessive heat warning until Friday.
Several locations in the area will serve as cooling centers to provide respite from the extreme heat. Here's a look at places in Oak Park:
- , 520 Maple Ave., 383-5673.
- , 3 Erie Court, 383-6200.
- , 123 Lombard Ave., 8:30 a.m to 5 p.m.
- , Main Branch, 834 Lake St., from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- , Maze Branch, 845 Gunderson St., from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- , Dole Learning Center, 255 Augusta St., from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Free transportation to the centers is available by calling the’s non-emergency number, (708) 386-3800.
In River Forest, the following places will serve as cooling centers:
- , 400 Park Ave. (708) 366-8500
- , 735 Lathrop Ave. (708) 366-5205
People who are elderly and who have chronic conditions are especially susceptible to this heat so please check on them when the temperature rises.
Some important safety tips to remember in the heat include wearing lightweight, light-colored clothing and hats, drinking lots of water and taking regular breaks if you’re working or playing outside.
Oh, and let's not forget about the public pools. Rehm Pool and the Ridgeland Common Pool are open for business. Grab some sunscreen, a towel, your pool pass and some cash and get out there and beat the heat. More pool info.