This is the final Oak Park Farmers’ Market of the season. As in past years the season will wrap up with the traditional stone soup made from Farmers' Market vegetables. Soup will be served starting at 9 a.m. The market will return Sat., May 17, 2014.
Author John Searles coming to Oak Park on Friday, Oct. 25
Friends of the Oak Park Public Library host the 2013 Barbara Ballinger Lecture with critically acclaimed New York Times best-selling author John Searles at 7:30 pm, Friday, Oct. 25. This special after-hours event at the Main Library, 834 Lake Street, is followed by an author reception, refreshments and book signing. Seating is limited; reserve your space now.
The author of best-selling novelsBoy Still Missing and Strange but True, Searles has appeared regularly as a book critic on NBC’s Today Show and CBS' The Early Show. Also the Editor-at-Large of Cosmopolitan, Searles' essays have been published in The New York Times, Washington Post and other national publications.
Casket Races in Forest Park
Casket races, you say? YES! With all the famous folks buried in Forest Park (and the fact that thirty times the living population of Forest Park are interred in our cemeteries) it's a perfect fit! The Forest Park Flapper Ghost Casket Race will be held Saturday, October 26, 2013 on Beloit Avenue between Adams and Madison. Check in time for teams is 9 a.m. and the race begins promptly at 10 a.m. (From the Village of Forest Park)
One Stop Comics in Oak Park Participating in Halloween ComicFest
More than 1,400 comic book specialty shops across the country will participate in Halloween ComicFest 2013 this weekend, Oct. 26 and 27, including One Stop Comics, 111 S. Ridgeland Ave. in Oak Park. The festivities will include free comics to anyone who visits a participating shop. There will be 22 Halloween-themed comics and mini comics in the giveaway, including "Batman," "Spider-man," "Thor," "Adventure Time," "Archie" and "Sonic."
Other weekend happenings in Oak Park and River Forest:
- Roosevelt Road Zombie Walk & Pub Crawl
- Fright at Night in the Oak Park Conservatory
- Colon & Breast Cancer Awareness Community Forum
- Free Reader's Ensemble After Dark, River Forest Library
- Friday Night Blues - James Wheeler at Open Door Theater
- Roomful of Blues plus Shake 'Em on Down at FitzGerald's
- Cannonball (SideBar)
- LEGO Club
- Chicago Body and Spirit Expo
- Fear City Trick or Treat Fest for Kids
- Halloween Extravaganza at the Oak Park Arms
- Ghosts of Rock Stars Past Halloween Party
- Spellbound - A Salon Entertainment for Halloween at the Pleasant Home
- Saturday Night Jazz Ben Fernandis in Concert with Miguel at Open Door Theater